Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying D&D 4th Edition OGL Petition

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

There’s a petition on change.org for WotC to get D&D 4th ed the same open game licence that 3.5 and 5th edition enjoy. Please have a look and sign it. This is not so much about personal preferences with editions but about allowing third party publishers access to create new material to support the game.

Thanks 🙂

Lockhart
    • Owlbear

A very good cause. For all the misteps of 4th, it still deserves the openness that has given 3rd edition such longevity and the option for it to be re-designed in a better way.

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

… and the option for it to be re-designed in a better way.

A good point, think of the opportunities for applying 4th ed to different settings.  It might be that it’s better suited to a totally different genre – 4th ed/Glorantha anyone? 😉

Thanks for your vote @[member=”Lockhart”]

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

Well, I’ve signed it – mainly in the hope that anyone who released content under the more restrictive licence and lost the ability to use the OGL as a result might be freed from those restrictions. I don’t really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

I don’t really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

I think it would be interesting to find out…

Thanks

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

I don’t really know enough about 4e to know what it might be a suitable system for, though.

D&D 4E has often been accused by its detractors of having too many card game elements, and (as Hal has put it) every PC is basically a wizard, with super impressive magic powers that recharge at different rates.

On the other hand, several people have tried to cobble together a Magic: The Gathering RPG over the years, with varying degrees of success. For those who may be unfamiliar with the game, M:tG is a collectible card game, where everyone plays… yes, you guessed it: a wizard.

Perhaps you could combine two problems to create one solution, here? 🙂

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

Give the monkey a banana 🙂

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

Pencil-Monkey, have a banana.

On a more serious note, it’s been a few days now. I thought by now someone else would have expressed an opinion on the idea of 4e as a suitable system for MtG tabletop in this thread.

Slartibartfast
    • Gelatinous Cube

You’re right @[member=”JamieMcCrimmon”]. Would it work?  I have not played MtG for some long time…

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Turns out that there’s an old thread on RPG.net about a potential mash-up of D&D 4E and M:tG, which also includes some snide remarks about dear old Warlords of the Accordlands Accordions, as well as this interesting bit of information:

Actually, very shortly before WOTC bought TSR, I was a playtester for Wizard’s MTG:RPG. While it had several very cool ideas, it was unplayable as written due to some severe balance problems.

My group wondered why our ideas for improvement were politely ignored..until we found out that WOTC bought TSR, thus dropping the idea.

JamieMcCrimmon
    • Flumph

On the other hand, several people have tried to cobble together a Magic: The Gathering RPG over the years, with varying degrees of success. For those who may be unfamiliar with the game, M:tG is a collectible card game, where everyone plays… yes, you guessed it: a wizard.

And, in news from Fifth Edition…

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

http://www.tribality.com/2016/04/27/magic-the-gathering-zendikar-setting-for-dd-5e/

Another podcast even has some discussion about it (which I haven’t listened to yet)

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/round-table-118-magic-in-dd-acquisitions-inc-series-and-gem-dragons-of-faerun/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.