Forums Gaming Chat Roleplaying Do I want to get GURPSy?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dr Ink’n’Stain
    • Flumph

How about some BRP? Personally, I’ve only played CoC, and some starting-grade RuneQuest, but if the same system can do Stormbringer, that’s about as epic as it gets in my book.

How things are named matter. I never got the D&D-style rage-fuelled Barbarians, until I realized that the class should be dubbed Berserkers. ‘Barbarian’ should be a Background.

EvilAardvark
    • Flumph

As someone who’s both tried to punch people and to hit them with a variety of weapons, most of the requisite skills are reasonably transferrable…distance, timing, nerve, speed, accuracy, coordination. Shooting is the same – front-sight, back-sight, point, pull…

As someone who’s tried to sail a boat and driven cars… holy-shit those two things are nothing like each other. I’ve never tried to fly anything but I’m pretty sure that my parallel-parking skills aren’t going to be worth a damn.

Personally, I like the balance that SW has for pulp genre games – it lets you have a daredevil pilot, a wily old sea-dog and a wheel man as three different characters without stepping on each others toes.

Skills granularity is an interesting topic, though: so many games make things too granular, aim for some vague notion of balance and then you end up with a game where things just feel weird. <Navy SEAL picks up shotgun and curses because he has no ranks in Shotgun only Automatic Pistol, Revolver, SMG, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Assault Rifle, Tazer, LMG, HMG, Rocket Launcher and RPG Launcher.>

I guess that, overall, I like Rice-Crispy games – not too crunchy like Bran Flakes but not a bowl of mush like oatmeal. A bit of snap-crackle-and pop makes me happiest.

Vaeron
    • Thri-kreen

you’re not going to hear Gandalf say, “come Frodo, we must make haste unto Rivendell to take counsel with Master Elrond: he has the smarts”.

And the world is poorer for it!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.