Forums News and Information Announcements New Commenting System

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hal 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Hey there

In response to some comments on the forums and personally about the new site, I have implemented a new commenting system for the main articles on the site.

Please take it for a spin and let me know what you like and what you do not like about it. It has a lot more functionality than the previous in-built one. And for Monkey it even does some basic codes.

There are options for expanding it to include other things but I am going to hold off and see how it goes before making it more complicated.

Sadly as an upshot of this, I have had to remove the features that made the nice circular letter avatars as it was causing issues. You now have nice Gravatar monsters unless you have an actual Gravatar set 🙂

I think the next thing I may review is the forums as I feel they are a little anemic. What do you guys think?

Cheers
    Hal

Pencil-Monkey
    • Mind Flayer

Huzzah!

It’s great to have all those added options; being able to edit pytos in your previously posted comments in the audio section is vyre ncie. 🙂

That said, when you write your comment (in the audio section), you start out with grey text against a dark blue background, which makes it really hard to read. Once you post, it gets a white background, which is easier on the old peepers, but maybe black-on-blue would work better, while you’re writing.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Yeah – I am working on the CSS to make it more friendly. It seems my main CSS is fighting the CSS for the comments section 😀

Give a man a chance here…

Cheers
    Hal

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

OK Monkey,

Give that a go and see if that works out a little better? I made it nice and clean and white.

Hopefully, it works and doesn’t break anything else.

Cheers
    Hal

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

Any chance we could darken the text a bit? Or is there an option I’m missing somewhere I can set the colors for myself? Thanks.

insert witticism here

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

Are we talking about the text on the blog comments or over here in the forums?

I can likely darken either or both if there are issues.

Cheers
    Hal

Aethyr
    • Thri-kreen

I was talking about the text in the forums themselves.

insert witticism here

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

OK! Let me take a look and see what I can manage on the forums.

I have to say they are a little bare bones at the moment and I am wondering about a fully fledged forum update…

(ponders)

Hal

Reverse
    • Flumph

Huzzah!

It’s great to have all those added options; being able to edit pytos in your previously posted comments in the audio section is vyre ncie.
    That said, when you write your comment (in the audio section), you start out with grey text against a dark blue background, which makes it really hard to read. Once you post, it gets a white background, which is easier on the old peepers, but maybe black-on-blue would work better, while you’re writing.

Seconded that being able to edit and hypertext in the comments is great.

I still see the same issue Pencil Monkey was having. Comment box is white… until you go to type in it, at which point it’s grey text / blue background (hard to read), and then goes white again once posted.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Reverse.

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

I thought I had fixed that… grumble grumble.

Hal

Reverse
    • Flumph

Also, are the quotes really BIG on my above post, or is it just me?

Hal
    Admin
    • Treant

They are pretty chunky 🙂

Let me poke at the CSS.

Cheers
    Hal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.